Putna Monastery (1466)

Putna Monastery from Bucovina Situated 45 miles (72 km) away from Suceava, the then capital of the principality of Moldavia, Putna is the first and most important monastery built by Stephan the Great. The medieval historian Ion Neculce had the following to say about its beginnings: “Good Stephan did, upon having decided to build the monastery, shoot his bow from a mountain top next to the monastery. And wherever the arrow landed, that is where the altar now stands.”
The monastery was built between 1466 and 1469 and renovated in 1484. Its church was destroyed during the reign of Vasile Lupu (1654) and built anew by the rulers Gheorghe Stefan and Eustratie Dabija. It was last thoroughly renovated towards the end of the 19th century. All that is left of the original monastery is the bell tower, erected by Stephan the Great in 1481.
The Putna monastery has been, from the very beginning, an important religious, cultural and artistic center, as it had workshops where talented monks put their calligraphy and miniature skills to practice. Its museum has a valuable collection of embroideries with religious motifs, manuscripts, icons and silverware, some of them dating from the times of Stephan the Great.
The monastery’s church is the resting place not only of Stephan the Great (1432? – July 2nd, 1504), but also of several members of his family, among them his wifes Maria Voichita and Maria of Mangop and his sons Bogdan the One-Eyed and Stefanita Voda.

< Back