Humor Monastery (1530)

Humor Monastery from Bucovina Situated 3 miles (5 km) away from the town of Gura Humorului, the Humor monastery is one of Bukovina’s most famous medieval monuments.
The original monastery was established in the valley of the Humor river sometime after 1400, during the reign of Alexander the Good. Up to this day, the ruins of the original church can be seen in the courtyard. The “new” church was built in 1530 by Peter Rares, Stephan the Great’s illegitimate son, together with his chancellor Toader Bubuiog.
The monastery is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary. It enjoyed, from the very beginning, great wealth, being richly endowed by its founder and his descendants. For example, on April 25th, 1475, Stephan the Great issued an official document in which he confirmed the monastery’s rights over five villages, a mountain, a salty spring and an apiary.
The inner frescoes, some of them done in 1535 by one “Toma, painter from Suceava”, follow the tradition of the time, while they also emphasize movement and display realistic facial expressions – for example in the depiction of the Last Supper. Quite remarkable are, inside the church, the Byzantine icons dating from the 16th century, as well as the portraits and the tombstones of its founders.

< Back