The salt mine in Cacica

The salt mine in Cacica The salt mine in Cacica (Polish: Kaczyka) is one of Europe’s oldest sources of re-crystallized salt, as it dates back to what Romanians call the “Cris culture” of the Early Neolithic Age (around 5000 BC). As proved by the archaeological finds in Cacica (1989) and in nearby Solca (1952), the salty springs in the area have been used, throughout history, both as baths and as sources of crystallized salt.
82 ft. (25 m) deep inside the mine there is a chapel dedicated to St. Barbara, the miners’ patron. The chapel was set up by a Roman Catholic priest named Jakob Bogdanowicz. It can be reached by descending some 200 steps carved into the rock salt, and it looks just like a proper church, as it has everything it should have: altar, icons, a chandelier, a pulpit and choir stalls. The altar and the pulpit are carved into the rock salt. Initially, the walls of the chapel were covered in wood, but in 1904 the wooden panels were removed and the chapel came to look the way it does up to this day.

< Back